Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: OK I am Worried

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member imported_Counts's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2002
    Posts
    3,370
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    OK I am Worried

    I need to do some extra research on this (Could be something blown out of porporton) but our area does NOT need this

    Link


    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Some great rope line video from Joe Biden's recent Ohio swing, where he was asked by an anti-pollution campaigner about clean coal -- a controversial approach in Democratic circles for which Obama has voiced support, particularly during the Kentucky primary.

    Biden's apparent answer: He supports clean coal for China, but not for the United States.

    "No coal plants here in America," he said. "Build them, if they're going to build them, over there. Make them clean."

    "We're not supporting clean coal," he said of himself and Obama. They do, on paper, support clean coal.

    The answer seems to play into John McCain's case that Obama has been saying "no" to new sources of energy.

    In the primary, Biden opposed Obama's push for clean coal, which is seen as a way of maintaining or expanding America's coal-burning power plants -- many of which are in rust belt swing states.

    "I don't think there's much of a role for clean coal in energy independence, but I do think there's a significant role for clean coal in the bigger picture of climate change," he told Grist last year. "Clean-coal technology is not the route to go in the United States, because we have other, cleaner alternatives," he said, but added that America should push for a "fundamental change in technology" to clean up China's plants.

    Biden also was not shy on his own clean energy credentials.

    "The first guy to introduce a global warming bill was me 22 years ago. The first guy to support solar energy was me 20 years ago," he said, apparently referring to the 1986 Global Climate Protection.

    Think Progress has some more context, and Jake Tapper reports that Obama this morning rebuked Biden on a separate issue, his quick opposition to a federal bailout.

    Biden's remarks, and his apparent return to his primary position Tuesday, were striking because just three days ago, he praised the possibilities of coal to a crowd at the United Mine Workers of America annual fish fry in Castlewood, Va.

    "You know we have enough coal in the United States of America to meet out needs domestically for the better part of the next hundred to 200 years,"? Biden said before launching into a critique of McCain's energy priorities, slamming his support for billions in tax breaks for oil companies as the industry rakes in record profits.

    "Imagine ... what Barack and I can do taking that $4 billion ... and investing it in coal gasification, finding out what we can do with carbon sequestration, finding out how we can burn the coal that you dig that can free us from being dependent on foreign oil countries and at the same time not ruin the environment. That's within our capacity to do it, if you give me $4 billion I promise you, I promise you we will find the answer,"? Biden said.

    He linked the ticket's support for coal with their call to have U.S. automakers produce plug-in electric cars. "Where's that [electricity] come from? That comes from a utility. What do utilities burn? They burn coal mostly."?

    </div></div>

  2. #2
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: OK I am Worried

    These are why I still wonder who to vote for...think I'll call in sick that Tuesday. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif[/img]

  3. #3
    Inactive Member imported_Counts's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2002
    Posts
    3,370
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: OK I am Worried

    Well the way I am reading it i THINK Biden is just telling the enviromentel people what they want to hear and that Clean Coal is still part of there energy policy.......At least that is my hope.


    I wish BOTH sides would just stick up for what they belive and if some folks don't like it tough crap insted of trying to be all things to all people and forceing me to decyfer there messages

  4. #4
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: OK I am Worried

    Here is the video for those interested in his comments.

    YouTube - Joe Biden on Renewables and Coal in Maumee, OH
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •